-
March 5th, 2003, 06:10 PM
#1
Inactive Member
My super 8 experience is almost exclusively: shoot on K40, trix, or plusx, edit with tape splicer, show edited film in my driveway on a bedsheet to the neighborhood kids. So, with all this discussion about possible new stocks, and the fact that I'll be exploring the world of non-linear editing soon, what can one do with negative super 8 film? I know kodak has their 200 speed negative film. Can it be digitized/telecined/workprinted just like other film and then made positive in Premiere, Final Cut Pro, or whatever other software their is? Or is it made positive when it is transferred to video? Or is the only option to make a positive print from the negative original? The third option would seem prohibitively expensive. Are there other options for negative film?
thanks for your help.
-
March 5th, 2003, 11:39 PM
#2
Inactive Member
It should be made positive when transferred to video.
-
March 6th, 2003, 01:25 AM
#3
tfunch24
Guest
As I understand it, if you have manual white balance on your transfer camera and a "negative color" option in your NLE suite (and almost all NLE suites come equipped with that option), you can transfer negative film with the WorkPrinter. Other WP owners can give you more info on this procedure, as I've never done it--my Sony DCR-TRV840 lacking manual white balance and not wanting to drop a lot of $$$ on film that is mucho grainy. This is coming from somebody who really likes Tri-X and can tolerate Ektachrome 7240.
Negative films scratch very easily. Handle with care when transferring.
Good luck.
Tom
-
March 6th, 2003, 07:45 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Places like Pro8 include the transfer to tape with the negative processing. SO you send them the neg, they send you back the neg and tape.
Done deal
-
March 6th, 2003, 11:00 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Pro8mm will also charge you your first born child!
-
March 7th, 2003, 06:08 AM
#6
Inactive Member
I develop all my black and white film by hand so
all of it is quite scratched up, which I am fine
with. There are two ways to get a positive. I can
use Premiere to make a positive image. Or you
can have your miniDV camera change it as your are
doing you video transfer. You have to fiddle with
your menus to set your camera to do this.
I don't have any experience with the new colour
negative film.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks